Tuesday 4 January 2011

2010 - the year just gone.

This morning was the first day back in the office after the Christmas break and my optimism for the year ahead faded within thirty minutes: I'd maxed the memory on the maths department server and flicking through the current form of my thesis left me daunted by all the work I need to do.  So what's better than to spend the evening blogging about 2010?

Struggles
Feeling like I've made almost no progress on my PhD all year.  I can't think of anything clever to do and am left with a brute force method that maxes out my computers memory.  Trying to work out what God wants me to do with my life after my PhD. Struggling with lust. Wondering if all the CU evangelistic activities and my prayers are producing any fruit.  Wondering if I'm doing too many things. Wondering what I should be doing.

Highlights
Milking Cows and hearing the radio say it was currently colder in the U.K. than in Alaska. Walking to St Martha's in the snow. Flying for the first time. Running up Arthur's seat before breakfast and staring over Edinburgh. Two new leaders my church's youth club. Traveling to Turkey to see five of the seven churches of Revelation. Becoming an uncle. The team on Life 2010 and running along the sea front in howling wind and torrential rain.  A wedding in Jutland. A trip to London Aquarium - sharks are cool. Five new kids, without connections to the church, joining the youth club.  God providing a job for my girlfriend and keeping her employed. My sister finishing her degree.  More snow.  Building an igloo (some determined friends, 2 recycling boxes to compact snow into, and... 4 an a half hours of hard work). My friend passing his PhD and getting a postdoc position. Running in the snow.  Spending time with my girlfriend.

So what have I learnt?
God has blessed me in lots of ways despite all the things I'm struggling with. I'm not very clever.  I'm a terrible procrastinator.  Relationships are important.  I can't do everything.  I can't know everything.  Christ is central to everything.

That 2011 is going to be a challenging year.

No comments:

Post a Comment