Tuesday 30 November 2010

The God who cares.


I am a compulsive worrier.  I worry about passing my PhD, finding a job, what I should do with my life and lots of little things each day. I shouldn't worry.  Jesus commands me not to worry.
25 "This is why I tell you:  Don't worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Isn't life more than food and the body more than clothing?  26 Look at the birds of the sky: they don't sow or reap or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren't you worth more than they? Matthew 6:25-26
I shouldn't worry because God cares for and loves me.  The God who spoke the universe into existence and knit me in my mother's womb knows my needs and will provide for me.  In fact he lavishes us with gifts beyond what we need:
28 And why do you worry about clothes? Learn how the wildflowers of the field grow: they don't labor or spin thread. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was adorned like one of these! 30 If that's how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and thrown into the furnace tomorrow, won't He do much more for you—you of little faith? Matthew 6:28-30
God could have made the world a dull drab practical place where we eek out our existence.  Instead he makes stunning flowers and fills the world with beauty and things for our joy.  The fact that God has filled the world with good things testifies that God is there and He cares.
We are bringing you good news, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made the heavens and the earth and the sea and everything in them. 16 In the past, he let all nations go their own way. 17 Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy. Acts 14:15-17
So if God cares for humanity so much and his followers even more why do I worry?

I worry when I place my security in myself and my own abilities and not in God.  It's easy to know God's in control in my head but when I'm struggling in life and nothing seems to be going right it exposes where my heart is truly trusting.  Worry is the expression of my little faith.

I worry when I confuse my wants with my needs.  I want to pass my PhD - I don't need to. God will provide for my needs and He knows what is for my ultimate good and what is necessary to make me more like Christ.

I worry when my focus is on earthly things and not on living for God.
31 So don't worry, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear?' 32 For the idolaters eagerly seek all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you.  34 Therefore don't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.  Matthew 6:31-34.
So why do I worry?  

No comments:

Post a Comment