Sunday 14 November 2010

The Last Post

It's a curious thing: the first post on a blog is the last post a future reader will ever read.

Today is Remembrance Sunday.  It is good to remember the sacrifices made by our soldiers, past and present, to give us our freedoms.  I thank God that He has preserved us through the two world wars, and others since, that we might have the freedoms we enjoy today.  This leads me to two challenges:

1) How much do I value the freedom I have in this country and how much should I fight to preserve them?
2) If it is admired to die in defense of the nation how much more should I sacrifice to follow Christ?

The apostle Paul writes to Timothy (2 Tim 2:3-10)
3 Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.  4 To please the recruiter, no one serving as a soldier gets entangled in the concerns of everyday life. 5 Also, if anyone competes as an athlete, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. 6 It is the hardworking farmer who ought to be the first to get a share of the crops.  7 Consider what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything.   8 Keep in mind Jesus Christ, risen from the dead,  descended from David, according to my gospel. 9 For this I suffer, to the point of being bound like a criminal; but God's message is not bound. 10 This is why I endure all things for the elect: so that they also may obtain salvation, which is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.

To live for Christ is the greatest cause in life.  How much am I willing to sacrifice for Him or will I settle for my creature comforts and the aspirations of this life?

No comments:

Post a Comment