Friday 26 November 2010

Where is my treasure?


Yesterday I was studying Matthew 6:19-34 with a friend and then at the Christian union main meeting the talk was on Matthew 10:34-39.  Today I was preparing a Bible study for international students on Luke 12:13-21.  I'm spotting a theme:

What am I living my life for?

Where does my mind constantly return to?

Money? Work? Sport? Food? Sex?
 
Christ?

 19 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. 20Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.  Matthew 6:19-21.
 I might not feel that I'm building up a hoard of possessions but there are other ways I can store up wealth on earth.  There are all sorts of things I can strive for in life that won't matter in eternity.   Having a PhD in heaven won't matter.  The respect of my peers won't matter. Solving a Hilbert problem won't matter.  Having a comfortable life won't matter.  Pleasing friends and family won't matter.  Living for Christ: will matter.
37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.  Matthew 10:37-39.
 Now how do I put this into practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment