Wednesday 17 November 2010

A Sacred Cow


At my Church's club for 7-11 year olds we're studying the exodus and Israel's wanderings in the wilderness.  This week's story was Exodus 32: The Golden Calf.
The Israelites have seen all God's plagues, seen the world's superpower's army destroyed in the Red sea, seen God descend on Mt Sinai in fire and smoke and heard God declare the Ten Commandents (Ex 19:9, 20:1-23).

2 I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the place of slavery. 
    3 Do not have other gods besides Me. 
    4 Do not make an idol for yourself, whether in the shape of anything in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth...  Exodus 20:2-4.
Within two months they've broken them. Moses has not come down the mountain so the Israelites demand Aaron makes them a god.
4 He [Aaron] took [the gold] from their hands, fashioned it with an engraving tool, and made it into an image of a calf.
    Then they said, "Israel, this is your God,  who brought you up from the land of Egypt!"  Exodus 32:4.

Idolatry insults God.

To attribute the miracles of the exodus to an object they have made is insulting.  For me to draw a stick man and praise it for the dinner you cooked insults you.  We commit idolatry when we do not acknowledge who God really is and His claims on our lives.  We've all done it.  Do I still do it?

Do I put pleasing my friends, family and colleagues before pleasing God?  Do I let the Bible shape my thinking of God or do I have a lesser view of God?  Am I more concerned with my reputation and career than following Christ?  Do I trust God in all situations or think that everything depends on me?  Do I live for Me or God?

Idolatry makes God angry.  It is treason and He will judge it.  God would have wiped the Israelites out but Moses interceded.  God would wipe me out but Jesus intercedes!

22 So Jesus has also become the guarantee of a better covenant. 
    23 Now many have become [Levitical] priests, since they are prevented by death from remaining in office. 24 But because He remains forever, He holds His priesthood permanently. 25 Therefore He is always able to save  those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to intercede for them.
    26 For this is the kind of high priest we need: holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens. 27 He doesn't need to offer sacrifices every day, as high priests do—first for their own sins, then for those of the people. He did this once for all when He offered Himself.  Hebews 7:22-27.
Praise God that He is not only just but loving; He sent His Son to turn away His anger that all might know and love Him.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment